This area was usually known as Long Beach. The Flagstaff can be seen showing against the pier and the rocky promontory on which it stands became known as Flagstaff Point. In August 1924, the sender of this card informs us that they have been plagued by mosquitoes and have “bumps from head to foot”. Folk came from Bristol to holiday in Clevedon and the canvas changing tents must have been in great demand.
The Pier Toll House
A sunny view of the Pier Toll House with a horse drawn carriage plying for hire in the foreground. Beyond is the Royal Pier Hotel built in 1868-9. The Towers Hotel and Restaurant on the right was built in 1863 and is now called Campbells Landing.
East Clevedon Triangle
This view of East Clevedon Triangle shows Bristol House in which Mr. Silas Dyer’s drapery store was situated. At the time of this picture, East Clevedon Post Office was also located in the building. In recent years it has traded in antiques and is now used as offices.
Clevedon Bowling Club
The Clevedon Bowling Club opened at The Paddock in 1910. The postcard shows the original building which housed the changing rooms. This was demolished when the wall behind it became unsafe and has since been replaced. The present club house, which was opened in 1973 by Lady Mary Elton, is on ground to the right of this picture. There is an indoor, two rink green, allowing members to play in the winter months. The white house which can be seen directly behind the club entrance is Prospect House. Built in 1823, it is both the first regency house in Clevedon and the first property to be built on the hill.
The Golf Club
This picture was taken in 1908 on the opening day of the 18- hole Golf Links at Walton. Previously, golfers had played on a 7-hole course on Wains Hill which had existed since 1891.
The Curzon Cinema
The Clevedon Picture House was originally built in 1912 by Victor Cox and was enlarged during the 1920’s. It has a unique and quite remarkable interior. The walls are covered by panels of pressed tin, which for a time were covered by orange curtains. Let us hope that the funding will be forthcoming and that the interior will be restored to its former glory.
This view of the Triangle shows the crossing-gates which allowed the trains of the Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway to cross to the station. The line closed on 18th May 1940 and the rails and gates were removed in 1941. On the hill beyond the Triangle Clock, designed and given to the town by Sir Edmund Elton to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee, the tower of Christ Church can be seen.
The bathroom for men and boys at Victoria Convalescent Home