We drove to the Long Ashton Park and Ride and took the bus to Hotwell Road where we were joined by more walkers. Thirteen of us set off on a three mile walk from Junction Lock Swing Bridge near Merchants Road on a dry and increasingly bright winter morning.
We went along the north side of the harbour on the interesting Harbourside Walk, passing historic sites such as the Pumphouse, which is now a pub, various quays and former docks. Along the waterfront many attractive terraced houses and blocks of flats have been built, demonstrating how the city successfully regenerated what was once largely a derelict docklands area.
After crossing Pero's Bridge, we stopped for a coffee at the Arnolfini Art Gallery. We then continued over Prince Street Swing Bridge and returned along the south side of the harbour. We passed the coastal cruise vessel MV Balmoral built in 1949, the M Shed museum whose name is derived from the way the port identified each of its buildings, and various cranes and former shipyards.
We also saw Brunel's SS Great Britain, and the Matthew, and the Underfall Yard, which remains the operational centre for lock gates and bridges. The group then enjoyed a good lunch at the Nova Scotia pub before returning to Clevedon.
Report and photos by Ross Janes.
Develop a free website - Try it